2.25.2008

India, Here I Come

I just got my tax refund, so I went ahead and bought tickets for India, May 7-29. Eeep!
It was only $1100. I was really expecting more.

It's really going to happen... double eep!

(I'll post more here about the planned trip later, after work. :)

Later (before work the next day):
OK, so here's the story in a nutshell. I have a friend who got a Rotary Club scholarship to go to school in India. She's never been specific about what she's going to school for -- I think it's something like architecture and society/culture. However, I could be way off. The school she's going to is an English speaking school in Ahmedabad. Her husband went with her and took a job at an architecture/interior design firm there, also speaking English. I imagine they're both becoming more fluent in Hindi, which will work in my favor when I go, since I don't speak it.
When she is done school, they plan to do some travelling around the area before coming back to the States. It seemed to me to be a perfect opportunity to travel in a extremely foreign country with experienced and trustworthy companions. Once I figured out that my dad could come and house/cat sit (and visit with family in the area) I knew I could go for 3 weeks (long enough that I get my money's worth out of that plane ticket, not so long that it would become prohibitively expensive).
I'm going for three weeks in May. It's summer there (No, despite being around the globe from here, it's actually in the Northern Hemisphere. Go figure!), and so very hot -- not ideal for travelling, but it's when I had the money to go, so it's when I'm going.
I'm not sure where exactly we're going specifically. Definitely to Agra, home of the Taj Mahal, but other than that, I just expressed a preference for rural locations, so not too much cities, I hope. I'll post more once I've got more info.
I'm excited and a bit nervous too. I've flown to Italy (joined a group once I got there) and Argentina (joined family) by myself, but going to a completely different culture like this is pretty thrilling.
Obviously, as my mum and John pointed out, I've got to see about visas and medical protection, but I expect to be able to sort that out in time.
More info as time permits... :)

17 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

Yay for a refund!

We own both the states and the feds this year.

Maybe one day we'll have a grown-up income and can actually itemize our deductions. :)

Stacey said...

Yippee for you! that's going to be so much fun!

Max Cutrell said...

3 Weeks!? Yowza!

Laura F. said...

Wow, that's really great! I'm jealous of your trip.

Mummy Grabill said...

So excited for you Anne! It's going to be an amazing experience!

Unknown said...

Just one thing. Make sure you can get a visa. John has told me that the two countries hardest to get visas for at this time are India and Brazil.

Nathan said...

This is excellent news. Good for you.

MWT said...

Sounds like fun. :)

John the Scientist said...

You will have a blast. But get your Hep shots, and take a prophylactic dose of anti-biotics. This advice comes from the Indian in the office next door to me. ;-)

Anne C. said...

Thanks for the advice, John. I will most definitely get some preventative shots before I go. In fact, I should set up an appt. with the doctor sometime soon.

Janiece said...

Anne, with your personality, you are going to have a fabulous time.

We still on for lunch on Thursday?

Anonymous said...

I have a co-worker whose daughter went for a year..did her junior year of college there with archeology. Absolutely loved it. My co-worker went for the two weeks at Christmas and brought back lots of photos.
Anne, you will enjoy it.

Anne C. said...

Yes, definitely, Janiece. I meant to mention it when John the Scientist said it would be nice to meet us both for lunch.
Thursday at 11:30 at the same place we met before, right?
Yay!

Janiece said...

Hmm....Mexican...

See you then!

belsum said...

OK, now that I've finally read the entry you referenced in your last email I can get around to replying to you. I'm such a bad internet friend...

Anne C. said...

No, you're not! You're low maintanance. ;)

Anne C. said...

Thanks, Peter, for the link. I went to Travisa (the Indian Embassy's outsource for visas) and coincidentally enough, received my passport and visa back today! :)