4.06.2008

I'm a Cook, Jim, Not a Doctor

Sorry for the unexpected hiatus in the Vegas story. Friday ended up being busy the whole day through and Saturday as well. I'll post some highlights from the past week as a series of short posts, then get back to the original storyline. Let's start with food news...

I made Jim Wright's Clam Chowder (finally!).

Here is the mise en place:








And the final product:

It is delicious. Even though it has a roux in the recipe, it didn't get very thick (for me anyway -- maybe I screwed it up!) but that's a good thing because I'm not a big fan of overly starchy soups or stews. Thank you, Jim, for posting the recipe.

4 comments:

Tania said...

Yummy! We had Avgolemono again. Because I was feeling lazy.

Jim Wright said...

Glad you liked it.

I generally make this about middling thickness - not too thin, not too thick. The leftovers will thicken overnight in the fridge and will end up too thick and gluey the next day otherwise.

If you like it thicker, but want to avoid the risk of adding more flour, add a couple of tablespoons of instant potato flakes, or a bit of leftover mashed potatoes.

______________

I'm making beef roast today, in red wine and garlic au jus. The smell is making the cats wild...

Anne C. said...

You do like to tease, don't you Jim? You're lucky you're in a part of the country that's not easy to reach, 'cause otherwise we'd be on your doorstep every other day, knife and fork in hand and napkins tied around our necks. :)
Thanks for the advice on the thickness. I'll try that next time.

Mummy Grabill said...

This looks fantastic! I will have to print the recipe and give it a whirl. mmmmmm . . . beaf roast . . . (drool, drool)