2.14.2006

Valentine's Dinner

It is my custom to make myself a nice dinner for Valentine's Day. This year I decided to try a vegetarian menu. I didn't have a lot of time, since I had to go to tai chi class until 8, but I managed the following in 2 1/4 hours (from starting the water until finished eating dessert).

Appetizer: Caviar w/ petits toasts, hardboiled egg, and sour cream
The chopsticks are for serving the caviar, since you're not supposed to serve caviar with silver.
This was very tasty. I love eating everything layered together. The eggs and sour cream are the perfect foil for the saltiness of the caviar.




Entree: Portabellas w/ cream and sherry, new potatoes, and asparagus
Like the caviar this was best eaten together. The sherry was a bit sweet. I think next time I'll use white wine. The asparagus and potatoes were perfectly cooked.

Dessert: Butterscotch Baked Pears
This was the highlight of the meal. It was *so* delicious. I actually made it with brandy since I didn't have any scotch, but that didn't hurt at all. I can't wait to have leftovers!


I think this is a really excellent tradition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everything looks absolutely yummy! Good thing I am sipping a sweet dessert wine while I read.
Wonderful custom!

Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little said...

I think I already emailed you this comment, but: I so badly want the recipe to your butterscotch pears. Mmmmmm. Glad the mushrooms worked out OK for you!