2.26.2006

Commentary on the Computer Age

Shortly after I posted about my fabulous Valentine's Dinner, I showed it to a friend of mine who is not a reader of this blog. She in turn showed it to her husband, since he is a culinary type.
His response: "She obviously doesn't have kids."
When told of this, I was vaguely insulted, though I didn't say so to my friend. It took me a while to process this, of course. I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to insult and he certainly may not have meant it as such, but I do know I immediately felt defensive, which is a sure sign I felt attacked.
I know several people who have blogs and children at the same time. One of my favorites documents the thoughts of a new mother. I also have favorites that go on about the antics of thier cats or that review books and movies or any number of things.
I finally had to come to terms with the idea of a cultural split between those who communicate via the Internet and those who don't. There is still the misconception that those who do are geeks or socially inept or "don't have anything better to do," like raise kids, I suppose. In reality there are so many aids to Internet communication -- Blogger sets up instant blog layouts; forums provide communities gathered about the same subject; MyFamily.com gives families like mine a place to post photos and stories and then discuss things until the cows come home (as mine is wont to do). I have aunts and uncles in thier 70s comfortable with going online to put in thier $.02 as well. They can do it because there are tools that make it easy to do so.
So yes, I don't have children yet, but I'm sure that when I do, they will be included on this blog as my stripey boys are now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My impression was that his comment addressed your fancy meal, with the several courses (which you wouldn't have done if your kids were planning to eat as well). At least, that is what HIS reaction was. Perhaps, when you have kinds (of whatever kind), you will serve gourmet meals.
In fact, you already do. Think of all that raw chicken you so carefully prepare...

Anne C. said...

Since he is a gourmet type and I know he makes gourmet meals for his own family from stories his wife tells, I don't think so. Possible, but unlikely.

Anne C. said...

I don't think it's fair that my younger sister is so wise.