3.15.2010

P.G. Coming To the Rescue

I was at the library today to refresh my stock of audio books (did you know they have this series of educational audio books that covers everything from philosophy through physics? Very tempting if I could only decide where to begin!) and I came upon an old favorite, A Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse. I like it so much, I'm considering buying a copy of the audio version (already have it in print).
I was listening to it and while sympathizing with dear old George Bevan, also thinking on how he and his author take some of the same themes I've got in my life story and how they manage to turn it into a comedy. Granted, George has only just come to the realization that what he is missing is love, when he sees and falls in love with the adventurous Maude and she precipitously hops into his cab. Luck favors him during his moments of doubt and surrender. He is a fictional character, after all, and one cannot have him moping about for years on end as sometimes happens in real life.
That tiny detail aside, one can draw hope and inspiration from the example of a character who perseveres against seemingly insurmountable odds, (and to be truly Wodehousian, I need to insert a golfing metaphor here...) as a man might encounter when, off the tee, he finds that his drive, which seemed to fly towards the green as an arrow from the bow, has inexplicably sliced at the apex of its flight and deposited the ball betwixt a particularly rough patch in the weeds and the inviting curve of a sand trap. He does not bemoan (for long) the placement of Providence. No, he turns his mind towards a viable solution... wedge or niblick?

Thank you, P.G., for aiding this particular damsel.

5 comments:

Janiece said...

(did you know they have this series of educational audio books that covers everything from philosophy through physics? Very tempting if I could only decide where to begin!)

Really? What are they called?

Anne C. said...

It's called Great Courses and after visiting their website, I'm going to have to buy one, I think. They're having an awesome sale.

The Denver Public Library has a ton of them as well.

Mummy Grabill said...

Audio books sound fascinating - I really need to check some out for my drive. Although, that might cut into my time calling Mummy from the car. :-)

Love your Woodhouse commentary - put a smile on my face.

Anne C. said...

I'll try and remember to bring it with me next time I visit! I think you'd really like Damsel in Distress. :)

akg said...

I need to find my copy of DinD for a reread. I love Wodehouse but the plot details don't always stick.