9.26.2007

New Fall TV Reviews

Multi-tasking -- watching TV and working on work at the same time -- didn't really work this evening, but I'm going to blame it on the fact that I didn't have my notebook with me. No, really, I forgot the notebook. I brought the Word document and the photos, but not the notebook. Fine, don't believe me, see if I care.

Here are my evaluations of some of the new shows:
Journeyman -- on Monday, before Heroes; good acting, particularly from the main guy, Kevin McKidd, who we know from Rome (mental note: put that show on my Amazon wishlist). The premise is similar to Quantum Leap, where a guy time travels into the past to help people. QL always bothered me, 'cause I hated the idea of someone being trapped like that, unable to live his own life, only borrow pieces of other peoples' lives. This one is a bit better than that, but it's still a little painful. Although I have great respect for the main actor, and one of the actresses looks like someone FS would cross a continent for, I don't think I'll be watching this one regularly. I wish them all the best though.
Bionic Woman -- on Wednesday; good special effects, but the writing is clunky. I really like Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica, but she's only as good as the writing she's given. On BSG, she's a heroine with a lot of depth. On BW, she's a cardboard villain. Yawn. The heroine of BW, Michelle Ryan is OK, but her light colored eyes wierd me out. I've always been wierded out by extremely light colored eyes. I don't know why, but there it is. This is not a TV show I will be watching at all.
Life -- on Wednesday; good acting by the main hero, played by Damian Lewis, who we all swore we would follow into Hell when he played Winters on Band of Brothers. He's a cop who was framed and spent a long time in prison, before he was exonerated and rejoined the police force. Lots of thought has gone into the repercussions of this premise: what the hero experienced in prison as a cop, what mental attitudes he adopted to survive, and what would happen to him when he was freed -- namely a sizable lawsuit settlement for wrongful imprisonment. It's a quirky show, and with any other actor, I'd doubt it's success. But Damian Lewis is very very good at doing sensitive and masculine at the same time. If anyone can pull it off, he can. I *will* be watching this show, to see if he does.

No comments: