9.25.2007

Companionship

"Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself--and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to--letting a person be what he really is." - Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors

I'm sitting here with the cats, one on my lap and one next to me. They definitely provide nearly unconditional support. They enjoy being with me, even when I'm stressed and cranky. Pets provide one special kind of companionship.

Sometimes though, you need another person. Married people have each other. Single people find friends they can call up on a moment's notice. You find friends among coworkers, friends who do organized activities together, friends on the internet, friends through friends, and family who are friends. You can have common interests, but I think more importantly, friends like you as you are. They want the best for you, but they don't try and change you. They want to just be with you, for no reason, but to be with you.

What, then, is companionship? Here's the definition of companion. Frequent contact. The toughest kind of friendship, for me. I didn't always consider myself to be very good at friendship. I let my worry about being boring change how I interacted with people. In high school, I know I kept some people at arms length -- mainly because I couldn't believe someone would want to spend time with me. It's taken about 15 years for me to start having friendships where I don't worry (as much) about that. It still surprises me. Heck, it surprises me that I have as many blog readers as I do.

So thank you, friend. When I go shopping with you, sit with you for a drink or a cup of tea, sit around the campfire with you, or chat with you here on my blog, I am happy to not only have you as a friend, but be a friend to you.

3 comments:

Laura F. said...

Being one of your "oldest" friends (I would guess), I'm so glad we reconnected when I came out to CO and I'm so happy we have blogs to keep each other updated. Technology is amazing, isn't it??

Thanks for being so honest and real in your posts. I just wish I could visit more regularly!!!

Anne C. said...

Yes, Laura, since we've pretty much been friends since kindergarden, I think you qualify as one of my "oldest" friends. :)
I'm really glad we have blogs to keep in touch too. What did we do before the internet?

Anonymous said...

Blogging is a new version of what used to be called "pen pals." One developed these "pen pals" via correspondence back and forth by snail mail. They got started by putting yourself out the in some organized manner in periodicals of common interest. So technology has only sped up the process greatly.