10.22.2009

Dubious Customer Service


Now that I have a job again, I'm needing to take things to the dry cleaners. It's not that troublesome, as there is a place a couple miles away that is also very near the grocery store.
[An aside: I take my slacks and cocktail dresses to a "ecologically friendly" cleaner that uses less harmful chemicals like CO2 to clean. Traditional dry cleaning chemicals are so hazardous as to have a higher hazard rating in the building code.]
Something I never saw before (same service, but different shop than before) was all kinds of tags and notes on my receipt about the state of the clothes. Yes, I realize I don't have brand new clothes and should really think about replacing some of the older ones, but really? MUST you point out the flaws on every piece of clothing? I'm not sure if it's "customer service" or fear of liability, but it's quite annoying. I have a tendency to wear clothes until the last gasp, though not so much with the office clothes, but I'm not going to retire a blouse because of a stain I can hardly see, nor pants because the fabric has started to pill on the thighs.
They are making me very self-conscious about the state of my clothes. And I am not a good judge. :/
Might be time to call in the troops.

6 comments:

Janiece said...

Paging Stacey...

WendyB_09 said...

Sounds like the dry cleaning industry has been inundated with too many claims that they damaged clothes entrusted to their care. So they examine, bag & tag all incoming items to identify any & all pre-existing conditions like snags, missing buttons, perma-stains, worn places, etc.

I've gotten that here a couple times. Last time I took in a beaded/sequined formal number I had to sign a release that they were not responsible if the decor was damaged. They ended up hand washing it, and did a fine job, not a sequin or bead was out of place. Even got out a greasy salad dressing stain. Nice family-run business right on my bus route.

Don't take it personally, I suspect they're only trying to protect themselves, not comment on the status of your wardrobe.

And don't feel bad, I too wear things until I can see through them! I call it smart and frugal.

Jeri said...

I don't think I own anything aside from formal wear and a couple of suit jackets that requires dry cleaning. Everything else is machine wash and mostly wrinkle free. (I love cardigans! :) That way only I can pick on my clothes.

Anne C. said...

I'm a sucker for nice slacks, so that's what I take there, nine times out of ten.

Stacey said...

eh, don't get me started on things that people do based on the lack of responsibility of others resulting in the litigious society we live in. Hey, who put that box there?????? OK, stepping away from the box....

Nathan said...

They're just pissed at you for overloading them with cocktail dresses. Do you have a variety of hardhats to accessorize perfectly?