9.13.2009

Work Trip

I'm back from my first business trip. It went well. We got the business accomplished that we intended. The people of Carlsbad, NM, are extremely friendly and kind, which we greatly appreciated. The group with whom I was travelling was also friendly, intelligent, and funny. I did not expect to be as entertained as I was pretty much most of the time we were not in a meeting. (And even in the meetings, we laughed. Made the day long meetings infinitely more bearable.)

The only disappointment - I did not get to go into the caverns. Tuesday, we arrived too late, Friday, we left too early, and the days in between we were in meetings all day. We DID get to see the bat flight from afar. Swirling multitudes of bats, streaming out from - what looked like from our vantage point - the ground. We also got to hear some fascinating bat trivia during one of the meetings, when a presenter was organizing some documentation and the National Park Service folks filled in the gap by talking a little about their "constituents." Yes, someone used the phrase "right off the bat." [groan!]

The first night we were there, we had dinner at the Trinity Hotel. The food was excellent (I had the Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas) as was the wine (all New Mexico lables). They also sold the wine in a gift shop at the front, but because I was flying back, I couldn't by any. :(
We also got a fun tour of the Trinity Hotel's luxury suites. They are renovating an old bank building, so the ceilings are very high and each room is unique. The rates are very affordable compared with big city prices and it would make a great honeymoon/anniversary get away spot.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite not getting to see the caverns, and hope to go back when I have more time to explore. :D

1 comment:

Mummy Grabill said...

I'm so glad you had such a great trip! What an awesome job you've landed!