9.02.2008

A Weekend's "Labor"


I spent half the long weekend with my friends, Stacey and JR, and their daughter, Kat, and her boyfriend, Chad. We stayed in a cabin at the YMCA resort complex in Estes Park. Seriously. They had mini-golf (which we did on Saturday afternoon and I sucked, as usual), playing fields of all sorts, a library, an indoor swimming pool, all kinds of things, really. Saturday morning, JR and Stacey and I hiked up to Mills Lake (you can see the two of them in the picture above), while Kat and Chad, being lowlanders, took a shorter hike to Bear Lake. It was gorgeous, but that's pretty standard for the Rockies.
Speaking of which, the following photos are for Michelle, who thinks the Rockies are a coniferous monoculture:

Pbbbbblllltttttt! ;P
After hiking, we went on a short horseback ride. I had a young, but sensible, horse named Hidalgo. Why sensible? He actually listened to me (unlike 90% of these trail horses). We had a good time and I wish it had been longer. I love horseback riding.
We had a good time. I always enjoy Stacey and JR's company and Kat and Chad were very entertaining. Quite literally, in fact. On the trip back, I got Chad reciting Monty Python routines. That was fine, since it kept him entertained and required no response -- kind of like listening to the radio.

I actually did some labor over the weekend. I helped my brother and his fiancee pack their moving truck on Friday (after being on the bike for two hours through a traffic jam on the way to their apartment) and then yesterday I did chores around the house.
So, a well-balanced weekend for me. Hope it went equally for you!

Now I have to be reminded it's Tuesday.

10 comments:

kimby said...

That view is stunning! I so wished I lived someplace that wasn't flat.

belsum said...

Purty!

The Grabill Family said...

What fun! I'm so glad you were there to help Max and Jenn. Horseback riding sounds like lots of fun, I haven't been in such a long time.

vince said...

Sounds like great fun. Absolutely a beautiful area.

MWT said...

Yay horses!

The one time I went horseback riding, the horse basically ignored anything I had to say about where we should go. It kept running me into trailside foliage, and broke into a trot every time we reached a clearing (we were supposed to be walking the whole time). Then I was sore out of my mind for the next week.

I want to go again. ;)

Random Michelle K said...

I love the picture of the mountains! That is absolutely gorgeous!

Random Michelle K said...

And what is the plant that looks like a demented geranium?

Laura said...

These picrures are why I love to visit Colorado!!

Matt Warnock said...

Sounds like a great weekend. It also sounds like the kind of weekend you need a separate vacation for once you get home. Great pictures!

Jeri said...

Those are totally gorgeous pictures! What a great way to spend the weekend.