1.02.2006

Good times for TV

I used to despair of ever finding good TV shows. It seemed like every show that I liked was cancelled shortly into the first season. I'm thinking "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992)," "Brisco County, Jr. (1993)," "Due South (1994)," "Space: Above and Beyond (1995)," "Legend (1995)," "Strange Luck (1995)," "Pretender (1996)," "Sports Night (1998)" and "Firefly (2002)." (Those last two I only *really* got to know and miss on DVD.) Other shows I never really got to get to know: "Covington Cross (1992)," "Roar (1997)," "Magnificent Seven (1998)," "Now and Again (1999)," "John Doe (2002)," and "Blind Justice (2005)."

NOW there is so much good TV on. Why? I have no idea. My favorite shows:
"Medium," "Prison Break," "Without a Trace," and "Battlestar Galactica". All are wonderfully written in character or plot or both. "Lost" is also very intriguing, but is losing a little ground lately. Maybe because I missed a few episodes.
And all of these are popular shows in no danger of being cancelled.
I think the turning point was when I got hooked on "West Wing" (lost a little interest in the last couple years, because I couldn't watch consistently one season). It was good *and* popular.

So I'm enjoying it while it lasts. :)

Unrelated aside: I need an automated house so I can fulfill my real purpose in life - providing a lap for my cats. Maybe a little robot designed to retrieve the remote or get snacks from the kitchen. Somebody work on that.

No comments: